For several years, PT Kaltim Nitrate Indonesia have received the Blue PROPER award. The award recognises compliance with all regulations required by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry.
PROPER is a government tool for assessing a company's performance with regards to environmental regulations. The assessment, which is coordinated by the Ministry of Environment and Forestry, is carried out annually so that companies comply with these regulations. The results of the assessment will be published. Every compliant company will receive a Blue PROPER award.
The PROPER assessment covers compliance with environmental regulations, specifically:
- Water Pollution Control (personnel competence, permitting compliance, compliance point compliance, parameter compliance, reported parameter data compliance, quality standard compliance, technical provision compliance)
- Air and Water Pollution Control (personnel competence, demission source and compliance point compliance, parameter compliance, reported data compliance, quality standard compliance, technical provision compliance)
- Hazardous Waste Management (data collection and codification of hazardous waste types, reporting of hazardous waste management activities, hazardous waste management permit status, implementation of permit provisions, personnel competence, total percentage of hazardous waste managed, management of hazardous waste by producer to processor/user including permit, type, cooperation contract, hazardous waste management emergency response system)
- Non-hazardous Waste Management
- Waste Management (Waste Reduction, Waste Handling)
Indonesian Environmental Protection Agency (Ministry of Environment) has performed an annual environmental compliance rating audit (PROPER), but the final audit report has not been issued yet.
Our plants operated very well during with low nitrogen oxides emission from the manufacture of nitric acid and low ammonia and particulate emission from the manufacture of ammonium nitrate. Our emission levels were the lowest emission comparing to those of our competitors in Indonesia.
We are also taking an active approach to understanding and managing climate-related risks and opportunities. Our manufacturing activities generate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Our priority is to abate nitrous oxide GHG emissions from the manufacture of nitric acid. Nitrous oxide is a by-product of nitric acid production formed during the oxidation of ammonia.
PT KNI’s commitment to implementing social investment through the CSR program has received appreciation and achievement from The La Tofi School of CSR. This is evidenced by the receipt of an award in the environmental sector, proof that the CSR implementation in the community is in line with the sustainable development goals.
In the 2020 Indonesian Green Award (IGA) organized by The La Tofi School of CSR, based on the ranking value, PT KNI received the best award in the category of “Plastic Waste Management”. The award was presented at an event held on March 18, 2020, at Aryaduta Hotel Jakarta.